Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tom Cruise and a Crotch Rocket........

The first line is always the most difficult to write I've always found.

Now that's out the way,  hopefully I've given myself the impetus to write something creative and hopefully amusing,  although for that no assurances are implied or inferred.

You see 'the thing'  that I'm on the long voyage to learning to ride a motorcycle,  when I say "leaning to ride" I guess at the moment that's a combination of two very important factors:
1) Learning to make a motorcycle move in the direction I want it to make it go (using the power of the engine,  this isn’t the Flintstones...)
2) Doing that whilst falling-off as little as possible, or otherwise making a complete and utter tit of myself.

I'd love to tell you I've done that,  but I'm not even that far.  I guess if this was some shitty 1990's American sitcom,  this is where we'd cue a dreamy flashback sequence.

**Shimmering chimes effect**

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle, but like a lot of areas in my life I’ve “wanted” to do something,  but for want of a better term, I couldn’t be arsed with the ball-ache of actually acquiring the skills to do it;  I’ve had visions of myself just waking up one day with a motorcycle licence,  off I’d go down the road,  looking dead sexy with a crotch rocket between my legs,  I always saw aviator sunglasses too, a power-ballad in the background,  just the right amount of stubble on my face.....  Think ‘Top Gun’ here.

 Like juggling,  karate and ironing,  it was something I’d  learn to do one day for sure,  just not today.

Then a funny thing happen for some reason I ended up a university,  and the costs of limping around in my old Peugeot have become prohibitive, always looking for an excuse to turn adversity in to something good,  “I’ll get a motorbike”  I told my wonderfully supportive fiancée who humours me in the sweetest way a man could ever hope for,  “Yeah,  sounds like a good idea,  I fancy it too.

So here I am six weeks later, with a few stories to tell, and hopefully a few to tell in the future.  This is going to be my sideways glance at learning to ride a motorcycle,  I hope it helps and amuses a few people.

1 comment: